Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Friday, July 31, 2009

No Crying in Baseball

So...like I said on FB...

There may be no crying in baseball but there DEFINITELY IS crying in running. I don't know how people do it. How can anyone love this? I question it...BUT I keep on going. It is hard, but I know that in the long run I will be proud of myself. Actually...I think for the first time...tonight I actually was proud of my efforts.

I tend to look at my little workouts and think...not REALLY that much running going on...not THAT great of a workout...not THAT much to be excited about or proud of...BUT...lets think back for a moment.

I started trying to run while participating in the biggest loser at my school. I had SO many reasons to start running-lose weight, get healthy, fit in my clothes better...get new clothes to fit in better, AND win $300 that came in pretty handy since Troy is unemployed. I have to set the record straight...I did not enter to win the money...it was a bonus. I really just wanted to have a support system, accountability, a reason to finally start...the money was a bonus, but turned out to be a blessing. Anyway...back to the running. I was watching the biggest loser on TV and saw Daniel, the 18 year old who weighed 450 lbs, jog for 5 minutes straight on the treadmill. I thought...and i know it sounds horrible...if that kid is that fat and he can run for 5 minutes without stopping, I can do it too. I immediately went and changed clothes, went outside, set a timer for 5 minutes, and jogged until it went off...

It HURT....BAD! I knew I couldn't push myself like that everytime if I wanted to REALLY start running so I started running and sort of had a 'training program' from a bunch of junk i read and threw together...and I modified it based on how I felt. HMMMM...I have no experience with this...what was I thinking???? Needless to say, I ended up quitting for a while because I wasn't really building a foundation or building up stamina...

I finally decided I had to start again...Troy showed me Couch to 5K....and here I am. Now to the point...I know...you have forgotten the point. **I am long winded and give lots of detail...probably ADHD...BUT...I remember my point ;) **

Week 3 Day 2

5 min warmup walk

90 sec run/90 sec walk
3 min run/3 min walk

90 sec run/90 sec walk
brief intermission...forgot my water...HORRID calf cramps...drink some water...stretch
3 min run/3 min walk

Did you see what I am proud of????? I ACTUALLY went back outside and FINISHED....AND...it did not even cross my mind not to. In fact, I was ticked that the cramping was ruining my routine and I actually told myself there was no way I was stopping before I finished that complete cycle.

WOW! How far I have come...even though I am not very far...

FINAL NOTE: tonights tactic to keep my mind off the pain was - THE REASON I HAVE TO BLOG ABOUT THIS IS SO I HAVE A REMINDER OF WHY I WILL NOT...CAN NOT TAKE A BREAK FROM RUNNING AGAIN...STARTING OVER IS NOT AN OPTION...IT HURTS TOO BAD.

1 comment:

Candie said...

I"m am sooo proud of you amanda. I swear, I can't say enough about my mom and her support to me. She always advised I walk ___ steps and then jogged ___ steps to get started. It's always worked. I don't that anyone truly loves the act of running...but it's the endorphines that are set off in the process that you get addicted to and it's the results that you can't get enough of. Luv ya! I'm proud of you!